Thursday, August 20, 2009

Degenerate


When I started exploring fluid modeling a lot of things excited me about it; some of which I've been following up on, and many more which will take me years of work to understand. It was wet, shapely, ephemeral, controllable and chaotic, and deeper than any set of technologies I'd yet plunged into.

I have been playing with the "fill object" emitter within Realflow since I began learning the software - giving my scenes bodies of fluid into which I can drip objects or other emitters in order to generate dynamic "spatter." But it can be used on an imported element as well; in my case one of the very fluid orphans I've been creating over the past few months. That filled object can then be under the influence of various forces and other objects, and can change over time - degenerating new primary and secondary elements. I can take an otherwise and relatively smooth object and give it bubos, force those nodes to break off or homogenise into a puddle. This is my first thought (flickr images)...

spatter_spatter_4spatter_spatter_6.39spatter_spatter_6.41spatter_spatter_6.37
(some thumbnails from flickr)

I'm not really ready to go full Terminator 2 on it; but it does seem like a reasonable way to start layering all these data sets together into more "maniacal" forms. Whether or not they'll have legs...who knows?





Prototypes being rendered on a Dimension 1200SST 3D printer

No comments:

Post a Comment